Thursday, March 4, 2010

Nurturing....

Last night I attended my first "Womens" AA meeting. There seem to be more males than females in our local chapter. Or maybe that's the way it is in other places too. So it was nice to have an all womens group. I shared some of the issues that I'm going through at home right now. Things I'm feeling and with my husband. I started feeling reassured right away by the smiles and head nodding that was happening in the room. And what I heard was:"That's normal, you changed the rules of the game, he's dealing with issues too, stop letting him be codependent on you" etc....Even though you know those things it's just great to hear them. I feel so overwhelmed at times that I just need the reassurance. Then this sweet lady says to me, "that's what we are hear for dear, to listen, to comment, but most of all to nurture you, because someone needs to." I never thought I needed nurturing?! I mean I am a mother, I do the nurturing! It never crossed my mind that I might need to lay it all down and let someone take care of me. But that's one of the greatest things about getting to AA, you get the love, care, sharing, acceptance of your peers. I went home humming along to the radio last night. Meetings can take my twisted thoughts, and smooth them out, and send me back home with a completely different attitude. I have been getting nurtured and I didn't even know it! Thank you God, my gratitude list just got longer....

No comments:

Post a Comment