Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Morning in the garden....

ill-tell-you-how

by Emily Dickinson


I'll tell you how the sun rose, --
A ribbon at a time.
The steeples swam in amethyst,
The news like squirrels ran.

The hill untied their bonnets,
The bobolinks begun.
Then I said softly to myself,
"That must have been the sun!"
...................................

But how he set, I know not.
There seemed a purple stile
Which little yellow boys and girls
Were climbing all the while

Till when they reached the other side,
A dominie in gray
Put gently up the evening bars, --
And led the flock away.

I was fortunate enough to have a few extra minutes before I had to get ready for work. I stepped into my oldest son's flip flops ( a little big but they did the job) quietly opened the door as bodies were still in slumber and headed out to the gardens. It was very cool this morning temp. wise and the dew was thick upon the grass. The birds had been up for a few hours and were deep in song, you can smell the earth in the morning, still fresh before the sun dries the scent. As I took in the loveliness of the flowers, and inspected a rose bush which is finally going to bloom I had the thought that wouldn't it be wonderful to stay in this moment all day long?! It would be so easy to be in God's will if it was quiet and cool, with no pressures just the song of the birds. I could be unselfish, and set my ego aside (along with my agenda) if this was my environment. I could be very productive at work if my desk sat among the flowers, and I wouldn't need a radio because the bees would hum to me....morning is a special time. It ranks up there with a full moon late at night. I love the stillness, the unblemished day, before life comes in and makes it all messy, and hot. But that's what I used to let alcohol do for me. Take me out of the mess, and put me in a comfortable numbness. But then if I were still drinking I wouldn't be up so early and enjoying the morning. It's like being in the garden of good and evil when you are drinking. You feel good, but ironically alcohol is stealing precious moments of your life away. So it is without reluctance that I choose to be clean and sober, it's a must. A must to have a rich and fulfilled life. A must to be able to enjoy all life has to offer, especially the mornings......

5 comments:

  1. I felt your peace just by reading your post, in which you describe so eloquently the gift of serenity. I used to drink to escape and feel numb, too. Some time well spent in the garden in the morning is what I would definitely choose over drinking today as well. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DBG...
    What a cool post my dear.
    You should be very proud and pleased with yourself for the way you have taken charge of your life. God gave you free will, and maybe you have made some poor choices in the past, but for now...You Chose Wisely...
    See Ya Friday?....G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Emily Dickinson :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful post...we have a brick path out the back that eads down to a bench by the grape vine...love to walk it and just sit and let the day massage my shoulders witht he noises of life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mornings are indeed special times. Very quiet in the house. Enjoy the peace as a new day begins.

    ReplyDelete