Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wednesday wildness......

Yesterday my middle child had his full ortho consultation. You know where they talk about treatment, length of time, and how much it's going to cost. I took the afternoon off from work, raced through the grocery store (and forgot half the items I needed)ran into someone I know who lives with the mentality of "the glass is half empty" and after five minutes of hearing her complain I wanted to stick my head in with the frozen vegetables! So I just managed to get to my son's school (it's now 2:00) in the afternoon, grab him out of class and proceed to eat a sandwhich with one hand while driving to the orthodontist with the other. We arrive at the orthodontist and as we are walking into the waiting room I glance down at my blouse and see a piece of wilted lettuce hanging there like a name tag! My hopes of appearing as a hip happening mom are shot. Lettuce gets you no glory. So we meet and just a glance at the panoramic x-rays tells me we need to act fast. His cross bite is so bad that it's pushing the lower teeth forward. There's loss of gum tissue, and the roots have been weakened by all the pressure from the top teeth. Needless to say he gets his braces on Monday. He's excited. The above quote is from my grandma. When they came to visit she would always tell me this. I would roll my eyes because I was 15 and knew everything. But she was right, I will always be grateful for my straight teeth and beautiful smile. So after the ortho we headed to Michael's crafts to pick up a styrofoam ball and ring, because my son just mentioned that his Planet report was due tomorrow and he had to have a model of Saturn. We get the necessary supplies and head home. As we were carrying the groceries in my other two children arrived with my parents and their dog. I asked my oldest to mow the lawn before it rained. Meanwhile I have about 15 bags of groceries that I'm trying to unpack while everyone is standing around the kitchen talking to me at once while two small dogs are under my feet. Next my son comes in "the lawn mower sounds funny"...well did you check the gas?...comes in a few minutes later "gas is fine"...well go back out and mow...comes back again,"it still sounds funny"..did you check the oil?...comes back in again "it needs oil and we don't have any." So I head to the store and get some oil.
He puts the oil in and a few minutes later comes into the house, "it still sounds funny, it's going to blow up"...ok for a recovering alcoholic I'm starting to get a little frazzled in all the confusion. So with the patients of Job I look at my son and very calmly say, "For the love of God Alex, please go out and mow the lawn and until the lawn mower explodes do not come back in the house and tell me it sounds funny!" So out he goes followed by his brother and his sister who are very excited at the prospect that the lawn mower just might explode. I finish putting away the groceries, my parents head home, I make supper, and then my son and I begin work on Saturn. So here we are surrounded my numerous paints, the hairdryer so we can get the paint dried faster, wire, and styrofoam. Meanwhile I have to get the two youngest through the shower, get lunches packed, backpacks sorted, clean up the kitchen and unload the dishwasher. As my two youngest went off to bed I was left alone to assemble the rings around Saturn. My oldest appeared and said something that changed my whole perspective on the day ,"Gee mom you really have changed. You're in a total mess and not even bothered, before you would have been going crazy!" Yes, I thought, I have changed. The glass is no longer half empty for me, in fact my glass is full. Full of children, full or work, full of my husband, full of chores to be done, full of living life, full of my recovery. And for this I am eternally grateful. At this I can spread my beautiful smile for all to see...........

4 comments:

  1. keep that smile shining. it is great to be able to look back and mark the progress we have made...and esp for others to see it as well. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Soooo much for the reminder that it is wonderful to be FULL instead of EMPTY--whether it is a gas tank or me!

    Blessings upon your busy FULL life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/05/jingles-may-follower-award-week-3.html

    How R U this Monday!
    Friendship awards 4 u.
    I enjoyed your company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you didn't blow up and neither did the lawn mower!

    ReplyDelete