Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Life in "the middle"....

My life lately has been met with some odd things happening. Friday I walked into my kitchen hit the light switch and three of my lights went out at once. I was caught by surprise. Hmmmm so I headed downstairs to the fuse box and flipped some fuses, then ran upstairs to try again. No lights, and then I realized no microwave. Whatever happened blew the electrical in that wall. Well this is a problem since these are the lights that light the half of the kitchen my stove is on. So I found a lamp that would work and plugged it in by the stove. My husband is researching the problem. Then yesterday I was adding more water to the fountain when I looked up and found myself face to face with a morning dove. She has a nest in a window box of mine and after she left I stood on my tiptoes to see a tiny egg. She came back and has been there ever since. This has provided much excitement between my two youngest. They keep peeking out the window to see if she is there and they have made plans to take the nest to school for show and tell. Finally last night I was vacuuming the hardwood floors and the hose came off. Just broke off. So I ran around crouching down and holding the hose down so the vacuum would still suck up. This was rather difficult, but I was able to finish the job, even though it took me a few minutes to straighten up after running around like a hunchback vacuuming. For most people these things are no big deal, but for the alcoholic they can be the shoe lace that breaks sending you over the edge. I used to think these things were fate working against me. I took everything personal. Now I know they are just every day occurrences. I am excited about the dove and kind of honered that she chose our yard to have her baby in. The vacuum, well our whole house is hardwood so I'm thinking a little duck tape should fix it. As for the electrical I'm leaving that one up to my hubby. Life is not difficult...we make it difficult. At least I did. As I work through some of the resentments that I have, I use Byron Katie's method. I right down what bugs me, I write out the answers to the four questions, then I turn my original statement around. And guess what, it usually tells me that I'm the one with the issue. A lot of "stinkin thinkin". I create chaos, or situations, or make up what I think is happening. It's been a real eye opener, for I'm the one who needs to grow and change. So if it's lights, birds, or vacuums, it reminds me that my work will never be done. That growth is an ongoing process....

4 comments:

  1. "Sounds like life on life's terms," something I never dealt with while drinking. Funny how the good, bad or indifferent lead us to that drink and deprived us from feeling anything, joyful or otherwise. I am not familiar with Byron Katies' method of inventory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww - is that the dove in the picture? How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's usually when "It's all about ME"--when I'm looking for the cause of a Peep problem.

    (I didn't mean the "Dove's peep"!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life will throw curve balls no matter what. I have a choice on what action I decide to take. I like the idea of not reacting to what occurs but trusting that I'll get through things and all will be okay.

    ReplyDelete