Monday, February 15, 2010

Copernicus called and I'm not the center of the Universe!

Wow, you mean the world doesn't really revolve around me?! This is about as hard to swallow as the fact that I haven't woken up famous yet! All kidding aside its very hard to put your ego away. Alcoholics are all about ego. Not the stuck up kind, or the I'm better than you way, but just the I can do everything, I don't need you or anybody else...step aside I'm large and in charge. The sad part is we aren't in charge, we just think we are, and then we cower behind the bottle to give us the courage to keep this facade going. I hate asking for help. I hate admitting I'm not as great as I think I am. But it finally dawned on me why when I tried to quit before it never worked. I tried to do it alone. When you sit in an AA meeting there is every walk of life you can think of seated around the table. If you think for a second you are different, better, smarter, richer etc. all that is leveled off very quickly. The leader starts by saying, "Hi I'm so and so and I'm an alcoholic" then the next person introduces themselves the same way and it goes around the table. By the end, all bets are off that you are any different than anyone else in the room. We are all alcoholics. We all suffer from the same disease. As you listen to other's tell their personal tales you are humbled. Humbled because you have a God who loves you. Humbled because he cares enough to come and save you from yourself. I have good days, and some not so good days. But one thing is constant. God loves all of us equally. If you think he loves you more or less than anybody else you are wrong. He loves us all. If I have learned anything this last week its being humble is the best way to share the grace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment